Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Santa Cruz, Bolivia!!

My sweet brother, Bryce, received his mission call yesterday! He's going to the Bolivia, Santa Cruz Mission! Good thing he took all those years of Spanish in high school! I am so excited, although I secretly wished it would be coming to Boston, Mass. But that's okay, he'll do amazing wherever he goes!

Since I'm on the topic I would love to brag about my little bro for a minute. He would absolutely die if he knew I was saying anything about him, he's one of the most modest and humble guys I know. He's also one of the most patient and self-disciplined people I've ever known in my life. For example, while my brother Cory was on his mission, Bryce decided to not have any soda pop for the whole two years. Now this would be really easy for someone who doesn't really like it, but Bryce does like it- a lot. He didn't cheat at all, not once, and we gave him plenty of opportunities to do so. And when he got his mission call yesterday, he waited hours to open it. I was just glad it came before he left to travel to the east coast for three weeks or he would have made us all wait until he came home!

The above picture came from the American Fork Citizen. They, as well as the Daily Herald, have done a few articles on the A.F. high students who have discovered some asteroids. Bryce discovered two previously unknown potential killer asteroids. And of course, I heard nothing of it from him (remember his modesty). Here are a couple of links to two of the articles:

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/267784/17/

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/265835/17/

He's graduating from high school today and I'm so proud of him! I have an absolutely amazing brother and I love him a lot! Congratulations on everything, Bryce!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Amen to that!!! He truly is one of the most patient and self-disciplined people I've ever met as well. Funny story....Today after his graduation, after lunch at Golden Corral, and then a few hours later, the kids and I were at Deseret Book. We were just checking out and I was going through the usual, "Don't touch that London; Clarke hold still; Isaac PLEASE don't hang from the counter top." The clerk handed me my receipt and Isaac says, "Mom, that looks like Bryce over there." I thought he was talking about a picture on a book or something, but he hurriedly walked me around the corner and sure enough, Bryce had just walked in the store and was stacked up with what seemed like all the books and info that Deseret Book carried about Spanish, including books translated in Spanish. It reminded me so much of Cory--so focused and ready to jump into it right now, only hours after opening his call. I said to him, "You know you're going to learn all that in Bolivia, right?" And his response was, "That's the point." Knowing him, he's planning to learn it all BEFORE Bolivia so that he'll be ready to go on day 1. Another cute thing--as soon as Clarke saw him when we went around the corner, he literally jumped out of my arms and ran to Bryce, only to snub me when I had to take him back when we left. Clarke may just miss him the most.

Unknown said...

Bryce is truly an amazing guy, I only know him a little bit but he is a wonderful humble person. He does have a way about him that makes you feel comfortable. He will do great on his mission. I am sure you will miss him so much steph but just think his number 1 fan will be you and with a sister like that he can do nothing but succeed right? Congrats Bryce in more ways than one!!!

Holly said...

I tagged you. Go to my blog and copy the questions about your hubby.

Linda Davis said...

Congratulations Bryce! Having known you for the past ten years I know that you are not only ready for this... but you are prepared. That's the greatest thing that you can take with you; memories of all the things that helped to prepare you. Good luck in all your endeavors / of course you will always be in our prayers and thoughts.
Love,
M/M Davis (Richards mom & Dad)